Easy Plumbing Tips
Plumbing is a fact of life. Thankfully, indoor plumbing is a convenience we enjoy most days without thinking. It was not that long ago that outdoor bathrooms were the norm, and indoor hot and cold running water was a dream. Now that we have them on tap, thanks to modern plumbing systems, it is a good idea to know a few basic plumbing essentials to maintain these systems and keep our homes dry and comfortable.
Awareness is key when it comes to avoiding common plumbing problems. A dripping faucet can waste gallons of water in a very short time. Moisture inside cabinets can ruin food and lead to mold and mildew problems. If you suspect a leak, turn off the water before attempting even a simple repair. If you are not sure you have the tools or know-how to handle the problem, it’s best to call a professional plumber. In Denver, call us at (720) 839-4015.
Keep any tools necessary to turn off the water to an appliance, toilet, or water heater nearby. In the event of a leak, you don’t want to find yourself searching through the house to find what you need to turn the water off. Locate the main shut off valve for your home’s water supply in case of a ruptured or burst pipe.
If you live where temperatures plummet and pipes can freeze, be sure your pipes are properly insulated before a problem occurs. Frozen water expands and causes cracks in household pipes. When that water thaws, you will more than likely have flooding problems as a result of cracked pipes. Detach garden hoses from all exterior faucets before winter comes and install insulated caps to outdoor spigots to prevent damage to interior pipes. If your home has an automatic sprinkler system, use compressed air to clear any standing water.
When you need professional plumbers in Denver to take care of an emergency repair day or night, call on Blue Mountain Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling at (720) 839-4015. We are happy to schedule an appointment to evaluate your current Denver plumbing system and needs; or assist you in an emergency. Call us today to schedule an appointment, and keep our number handy, just in case!
5 Fun Facts About Plumbing:
- Flushes Per Day: Did you know the average person flushes the toilet 5 times per day? Make sure to check your toilet for cracks or leaks. Over time grout and chaulking erodes and undected small leaks can turn into bigger problems like water damage. A common place to look is around the base of the toilet. It's easy to overlook, but make sure to check completely around the base of the toilet.
- Water Usage: Flushing the toilet makes up around 30% of a household's water usage. Other major areas of water usage come from dish washing, washing clothes, showering, and gardening. Leaks also account for a large amount of wasted water. Check under your sink once in a while and make sure you pay attention to any leaks no matter how small. It could be a simple problem like a worn out ring or simple chaulking fix!
- Tap water contains minerals and some chemicals. Over time this can wear on things like your water heater which has a lifecyle of about 10-12yrs. Make sure you are aware of how old your water heater is & replace if necessary.
- Check your pipes! Don't neglect to either check your pipes for leaks, root growth or ensure they are properly insulated if they are exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Maintenance is key! Don't neglect your plumbing as it is one of the most important infrastructures of your home. Most plumbers offer maintenance services that can help extend the life of your plumbing.